The China NCPA Orchestra is the resident orchestra of the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), Beijing. Established in March 2010, the orchestra has performed in more than a dozen productions presented by its home venue every year, as well as in regular orchestral concerts throughout its own season.
Artists associated with the orchestra have included: Zubin Mehta, Valery Gergiev, Myung-Whun Chung
, Christoph Eschenbach, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Fabio Luisi, Lang Lang, Stephen Kovacevich, Leo Nucci, and Yuja Wang, among so many others. Lorin Maazel has worked closely with the orchestra before his passing and praised the musicians for their “amazing professionalism and great passion in music.”
The orchestra has gained critical acclaim for its performances in the NCPA’s opera productions of not only classical repertoire works such as Tosca, Die Fledermaus, Lohengrin, Aida, Nabucco, but also newly-commissioned works, such as The Chinese Orphan and The Rickshaw Boy. In its own orchestral concert season, it has consistently presented creative and diverse programmes. The performance of the mammoth Ring without Words with its creator, Lorin Maazel, was released on SONY Classics worldwide, the only recording the great maestro ever made with a Chinese orchestra. The orchestra has also explored extensively in contemporary music. It gave the Chinese premieres of works by Toru Takemitsu and Giya Kancheli, et al, and the world premieres of many works by Michael Gordon, and Augusta Read Thomas, et al.
The NCPA Orchestra has flexed its wings on the international stage, receiving international praise for its performances at the Kissingen Summer Music Festival, Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival, Abu Dhabi Festival and concerts in many cities in Germany, as well as in Sydney, Singapore, Seoul, Daegu, Taipei and Macao. In 2014 and 2017, the orchestra has undertaken a North American tour twice, where it performed in 10 major cities in the US and Canada, under the baton of LÜ Jia. Musical America praised its “joyful confidence and youthful strength”. Concerto Net described it “a polished, first rate ensemble.”
Principal: Associate Concertmaster, Cello, Oboe, Trumpet
Associate Principal: Double Bass, Bassoon, French Horn, Trombone, Percussion
Tutti: Violin, Viola, Cello, Percussion
Audition Dates & Places
Date: July 6th, 2018
Location: London, the United Kingdom
Deadline of Application: June 24th, 2018
Date: July 9th, 2018
Location: Berlin, Germany
Deadline of Application: June 24th, 2018
Date: October 29th, 2018
Location: Beijing, China
Deadline of Application: October 19th, 2018
1. Applicants should be of sound character and possess good professional ethics, performing experiences with a professional orchestra is required.
2. Able to rehearse and communicate with others in English.
1. Members in the China NCPA Orchestra are engaged under full-time contracts; Employment to commence based upon orchestra's arrangement and the successful applicant's availability.
2. Musicians shall play on their own instruments, while China NCPA Orchestra will bear a certain amount of the cost of consumables.
3. Apart from the subscription performances, musicians shall play in outreach/educational performances, chamber music concerts and recordings.
Please send the following documents via email (email@example.com) in advance, please put “Applied position + Name + Preferred audition location” in the subject field of the email.
2. Copies of ID card / Passport, graduation certificates, diplomas, award certificates and other professional certificates (if any).
1. Solo Repertoire: Please refer to “List of solo piece and orchestral experts.” Content should be exactly as per requirements and set list. Please note that failure in adhering to the requirements may result in disqualification.
2. Orchestral Excerpts
as listed below: Please see List of solo piece and orchestral experts
For requesting listed excerpts, please send completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance, excepts will be sent to qualified applicants via email.
The Audition Committee of China NCPA Orchestra reserves the right to reject any candidate it deems unsuitable. All information pertains to the auditions will be sent by e-mail to the applicants.